Scheme for Pre-Matric and Post-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Government of India
Scheme for Pre-Matric and Post-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities will be helpful for students/candidates with disabilities studying in classes 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th standard, post-matriculation diploma/certificates and Bachelors Degree or Diploma in India. The disabilities of students/candidates may be Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities
The prime goal of this scheme is to make effective provisions for securing the right to work, to education and to public assistance in cases of unemployment, o promote with special care the educational and economic interests of the weaker sections of the people, old age, sickness, and disablement, to minimize inequalities in income and to endeavor to eliminate inequalities in status, facilities and opportunities, not only amongst individuals but also amongst groups of people residing in different areas or engaged in different vocations and in other cases of undeserved want. Education plays a very vital role in socio-economic empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
The objective of this scheme are as follows:
- To support parents of students with disabilities for education of their children studying in classes 9th and 10th standard and also onwards so that the rate of drop-out, especially in the phase from the elementary to the secondary stage is minimized
- To improve participation of students with disabilities in classes 9th and 10th standard and at the post-matric stage of education.
- To support students with disabilities to study further in order to prepare themselves to earn their livelihood and find a noble place for themselves in the society as they face several barriers physical, financial, psychological, mental in pursuing studies and living with dignity. At times such students are deprived of harnessing their latent skills and thereby miss the opportunity.
The students/candidates with disabilities should satisfy the following conditions:
General Conditions for both pre-matric and post-matric scholarship schemes
- The nationality of the student/candidate should be Indian.
- The students having less than 40% disability (Certified by competent medical authority of the state Governments/UTs.) are not eligible.
- Only two disabled children of the same parents will be allowed to receive benefits of this scheme.Also, the twin is also eligible for this scheme.
- Scholarship for studying in any class will be available for only one year. If a student/candidate repeats a class, he/she would not get a scholarship for that class for a second (or next) year.
- A scholarship holder under this scheme will not hold any other scholarship/stipend from the Government of India. If he/she takes the benefits of any other scholarship/stipend, the student can exercise his/her option for either of the two scholarships/stipends, whichever is more beneficial to him/her and should inform the awarding authority through the Head of the Institution/college/school about the option made. No scholarship will be given to the students under this scheme from the date he/she accepts another scholarship/stipend. The benefits given to student/candidate are free lodging or a grant or ad-hoc monetary help from the State Government or any other source for the purchase of books, equipment or for meeting the expenses of board and lodging in addition to the scholarship amount paid under this scheme.
- Scholarship holders who are receiving coaching in any of the pre-examination training centers with financial assistance from the Central Government/ State Government will not be eligible for stipend under the coaching schemes for the duration of the coaching program.
For Pre-matric scholarship
The student/candidate should be a regular, full-time student studying in class 9th or 10th standard in a Government school or in a school recognized by Government of India or by a Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
For post-matric scholarship
- These scholarships will be given for the study of all recognized
post-matriculation or post-secondary courses pursued in recognized
institutions with the following exceptions: Pre-matric & Post-matric
scholarship for students with disabilities
"Scholarships are not given for training courses like Aircraft Maintenance Engineer's Courses and Private Pilot license Courses. Courses at Training - Ship Dufferin (Now Rajendra), courses of training at the Military College, Dehradun, courses at Pre-examination Training Centres of all India and State levels."
- The students/candidates who passed the Matriculation or Higher Secondary or any higher examination of a recognized University or Board of Secondary Education are eligible under this scheme.
- Courses at the level of post-graduate degree/diploma/ certificate are not covered under this scheme.
- Candidates/students who after passing one stage of education are studying in the same stage of education in different subject e.g. B.Com. after B.A. in another subject will not be eligible.
- Students who are pursuing two different courses simultaneously can avail the scholarship for any one course only provided pursuance of such courses are permissible under the rules/regulations of the Educational Authority concerned.
- Students/candidates studying in Class 9th of the Higher Secondary School courses of the 12th Class of the Multipurpose High School will not be eligible for it being a continuous school course. However, in cases where Xth class examination of such courses is treated as equivalent to Matriculation and students who after passing 10th class join other courses, such students will be treated as post-matric students and will be eligible for the award of scholarships.
- Students who after failing or passing the undergraduate examinations in Arts/Science/Commerce join any recognized professional or Technical certificate/diploma/degree courses will be awarded scholarships if otherwise eligible. No subsequent failure will be condoned except courses in Group-I.
- Students who pursue their studies through correspondence courses are also eligible. The term correspondence includes distant and continuing education.
- Employed students whose income combined with the income of their parents/guardians does not exceed the maximum prescribed income ceiling are made eligible to post-matric scholarships to the extent of reimbursement of all compulsorily payable non-refundable fees.
Annual Parental/Guardian's Income
- For Pre-matric scholarship scheme, The annual income the students whose parents/ guardians' income from all sources should not more than Rs. 2,00,000/- (Rupees two lakh only).
- For Post-matric scholarship scheme, The annual income the students whose parents/ guardians' income from all sources should not more than Rs.2,50,000/- (Rupees two lakh fifty thousand only).
Students/candidates with disabilities
The benefits of this scheme are as followings:
Pre-matric scholarship benefits
The value of Pre-matric scholarship includes the following for complete duration of the course:
- Scholarship and other grant
|Item||Day Scholars||Hostellers *|
|Rate of Scholarship (in Rs. Per month) payable for 10 months in an academic year.||Rs.350/-||Rs.600/-|
|Book and ad-hoc grant (Rs. Per annum)||Rs.750/-||Rs.1,000/-|
|Allowances||Amount (in Rs.)|
|Monthly Reader Allowance for Blind students||Rs.160/-|
|Monthly Transport Allowance, if such students do not reside in the hostel which is within the premises of the Educational Institution.||Rs.160/-|
|Monthly Escort Allowance for Severely Disabled (i.e. with 80% or higher disability) Day Scholars/Students With low extremity disability||Rs.160/-|
|Monthly Helper Allowance admissible to any employee of the hostel willing to extend help to a severely orthopedically handicapped student residing in the hostel of an Educational Institution who may need the assistance of a helper.||Rs.160/-|
|Monthly Coaching Allowance to Mentally Retarded and Mentally ill Students||Rs.240/-|
The value of Post-matric scholarship includes the following for complete duration of the course:-
- Maintenance allowance
- Additional allowance for students with disabilities, for the complete duration of the course, and
- Reimbursement of compulsory non-refundable fees
- Study tour charges
- Typing/printing charges for preparing Reports/projects
- Book allowance for students pursuing correspondence courses
- Book bank facility for specified courses
|Groups||Rate of Maintenance allowance (in Rupees per month)|
Group IBachelor’s Degree courses in Medicine (Allopathic, Indian and other recognized systems of medicines), Engineering, Technology, Planning, Architecture, Design, Fashion Technology, Agriculture, Veterinary & Allied Sciences, Management, Business Finance /Administration, Computer Science/ Applications.
Group IIProfessional Courses leading to Degree, Diploma, Certificate in areas like Pharmacy (B Pharma), LLB, BFS, other para-medical branches like Rehabilitation, Diagnostics etc., Mass Communication, Hotel Management & Catering, Travel/Tourism/Hospitality Management, Interior Decoration, Nutrition & Dietetics, Commercial Art, Financial Services (e.g. Banking, Insurance, Taxation etc.) for which entrance qualification is minimum Sr. Secondary (10+2).
Group IIIAll other courses leading to a graduate degree not covered under Group I & II eg. BA/B Sc/B Com etc.
Group IVAll post-matriculation level non-degree courses for which entrance qualification is High School (Class X), e.g. senior secondary certificate (class XI and XII); both general and vocational stream, ITI courses, 3-year diploma courses in Polytechnics, etc. 380 23
Additional Allowances depending on disabilities of the student
- Reader Allowance for blind Scholars: Rs.240/- per month for all the groups of courses.
- Transport Allowance: Rs.160/- per month for disabled students, if such students do not reside in the hostel, which is within the premises of educational institution. The disability as per the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 is defined as blindness, low vision, leprosy- cured, hearing impairment, locomotors disability, mental retardation and mental illness.
- Escort Allowance: Rs.160/- per month for severally handicapped day scholar students with low extremity disability.
- Special Allowance: Rs.160/- per month is admissible to any an employee of the hostel willing to extend help to a severely orthopedically handicapped student residing in the hostel of an educational institution, who may need the assistance of a helper.
- Coaching Allowance: Rs.240/- per month towards extra coaching to mentally retarded and mentally ill students.
Reimbursement of compulsory non-refundable fees
Scholars will be paid enrollment/registration, tuition, games, Union, Library, Magazine, Medical Examination and such other fees compulsorily payable by the scholar to the institution or University/Board. Refundable deposits like caution money, the security deposit will, however, be excluded.
Note : Compulsory non-refundable fee charged by recognized institutions against free and paid seats of recognized courses can be fully reimbursed as per the fee structure approved by the competent State/Central Government authority.
Study Tour Charges
Study tour charges up to a maximum of Rs.1600/- per annum, limited to the actual expenditure incurred by the student on transportation charges etc. will be paid to the scholars studying professional and technical courses, provided that the head of the institution certifies that the study tour is essential for the scholar for completion of his/her course of study.
Typing/printing charges for preparing Reports/projects
Thesis typing/printing charges up to a maximum of Rs.1600/- will be paid to research scholars on the recommendation of the Head of the Institution.
Book Allowance for Students pursuing Correspondence /Distance Education Courses
The students pursuing such courses are also eligible for an annual allowance of Rs.1200/- for essential/prescribed books, besides reimbursement, of course, fees.
Book Banks are to be set up in all Institutes where disabled students are in receipt of Post Matric Scholarship. Normally, one set of textbooks will be purchased for two disabled students in the same category. However, in case two students of the same type of disability or group, of course, are not available, one set of books may be allowed for one such student also. Separate set of books shall be purchased for the different type of disability of the student.
The details of courses covered by setting up of Book Banks, ceiling of admissible expenditure per set of books are given below:
|S. No.||Courses||Ceiling per set (or actual cost whichever is less) (In Rupees)|
|1.||Degree courses in Medical/Engineering||Rs.7,500/-|
|2.||Degree courses in Veterinary||Rs.5,000/-|
|3.||Degree courses in Agriculture||Rs.4,500|
|4.||Polytechnics and other courses||Rs.2,400|
The Institutions will be encouraged to set up IT-enabled libraries for the benefit of the students.
For storage of books and contingencies etc., the cost of steel almirah for storing books of each Book Bank including contingencies like transportation etc. the following expenses are admissible:
- Rs. 2000 or actual cost whichever is less.
- 5% of the grant may be earmarked for expenses on binding, stiching etc.
Aids and Assistive Devices:
In addition to the amount of scholarship and allowances as provided above, the selected candidates for both the schemes of pre-matric and post-matric scholarship scheme can be sanctioned grants for purchase of aids and assistive devices under the ADIP scheme being run by the Department of Disability Affairs.
How To Apply
- For more information tou may visit to National Scholarships Portal
- Contact to Head of the school/Institute
- For more information you may visit to University Grants Commission website.
Central Government of India
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
Date of Launch
Share this article :
Facebook Twitter Google
- National Overseas Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
- Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for Students with Disabilities
- Scheme of Free Coaching for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarship for Top Class Education for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarship Scheme from Trust Fund for Persons with Disabilities