Pre-Matric Scholarships for the Children of those Engaged in Unclean Occupations
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India
The scheme of Pre-Matric Scholarships for the Children of those Engaged in Unclean Occupations aims to provide financial assistance to children whose parents/guardian belongs to one of the following categories, to pursue Pre-matric education
The prime goal of this scheme is to provide financial assistance to children whose parents/guardian belongs to one of the following categories, to pursue Pre-matric education
The student should fulfill the following terms and conditions to avail the benefits under this scheme:
- Scholarship will be given to the children/wards of Indian Nationals who, irrespective of their religion are: a. either presently engaged in manual scavenging or were so engaged up to or after 1.1.97 or the date
- Children who are born to parents who are not engaged in such occupations, but have been adopted by such person are eligible for scholarship only after a lapse of three years from the date of such adoption provided that they have been living with the adopted parents since the date of such adoption. Such children will be eligible only if their parents furnish such certificates (such as of proof of their occupation, date of adoption etc.) as may be required by the concerned State Government/Union Territory administration.
- A certificate should be obtained from the eligible candidates as follows: a. From Children/wards mentioned in sub- para 2(i)(a): only once, at the time of their first application/renewal, as the case may be, of Pre-matric Scholarship, after the coming into force of this revision (of 2011), to the effect that at least one parent belongs to the relevant categories; b. From Children/wards mentioned in sub- para 2(i)(b): every year, to the effect that at least one parent is currently engaged in tanning and/or flying.
Children of those Engaged in Unclean Occupations
The scholarships may be given to students enrolled in class I or any subsequent class or pre-matric stage in the case of day scholars, and class III or any subsequent class of pre-matric stage in case of hostellers. The scholarship will terminate at the end of class X. The duration of scholarship in an academic year is ten months.
The students as hostellers will be covered from class III to X. The rates of scholarships are as under:-
|Class III to X||Rs.700/- per month for 10 months|
The students as day scholars will be covered from Class I to Class X. The rates of scholarships are as under:
|Class I to X||Rs. 110/- per month for 10 months|
An ad-hoc grant of Rs. 750/- per student per annum to all day scholars and Rs. 1000/- per student per annum to hostellers would be admissible.
Additional Provisions for Students amongst Target Groups with Disabilities
- Reader Allowance of Rs.100 per month for blind students in classes IX and X.
- Transport allowance of Rs.50 per month for the disabled students not residing in the hostel located within the premises of educational institution.
- Special pay of Rs.100 per month would be admissible to any employee of the hostel willing to extend help to a severely orthopedically handicapped student residing in a hostel managed by the educational institution or by the State Government/Union Territory Administration who may need the assistance of a helper.
- Escort allowance of Rs.50 per month for severely handicapped day scholars students with lower extremity disability.
- Allowance of Rs.100 per month towards extra coaching to mentally retarded and mentally ill students in classes IX and X.
- The provisions proposed in (b) to (d) above also apply to leprosy cured students.
Note 1: The students amongst target groups with disabilities covered under this scheme can, however, also get such additional benefits from other schemes, which are not covered by the above provision.
Note 2: The disability as per the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities), Protection of Rights and Full Participation Act, 1955 is defined as blindness, low vision, leprosy-cured, hearing impairment, locomotor disability, mental retardation and mental illness, which has to be certified by competent medical authority of the State Government/Union Territory Administration.
The scholarship amount will be payable from the date of joining to the date of leaving the school, excluding the period of vacation, which will be about 10 months in a year except in the cases where the students enter or leaves early in the midst of academic year.
How To Apply
Central Government of India
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Date of Launch
Share this article :Facebook Twitter Google