Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for Students with Disabilities M. Phil. and Ph.D.
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Government of India
The scheme provides the requirements of the students with disabilities for pursuing a research degree in universities, research institutions/colleges and scientific institutions/colleges. This will not only enable them to be eligible for employment to the posts of Lecturers lying vacant in various colleges and universities but will make them to effectively take advantage of the growing opportunities at the national and international level in the context of the new economic order.
This scheme aims to increase employment opportunities for students with disabilities for pursuing higher education leading to degrees such as M. Phil. and Ph.D. The scheme caters the requirements of the students with disabilities for pursuing research degree in universities, research institutions and scientific institutions.
The objective of this scheme is as below:
- To increase employment opportunities for students with disabilities for pursuing higher education leading to degrees such as M. Phil. and Ph.D.
The student/candidate should fulfill the following conditions to avail the benefits under this scheme:
- Any student with disabilities who got admission to M.Phil./Ph.D. degree in a University or academic institution by completing the required formalities for admission in that University or academic institution is eligible for the benefit of Fellowship. The student/candidate must get himself/herself registered for M.Phil/Ph.D. at the first available opportunity but not later than within a period of two years from the receipt of award letter. This period is not extendable. However, the actual payment of fellowship will be made with effect from the date of joining only.
- After two years, if the progress in the research works of the awardee is found satisfactory or notable work, his/her tenure period will be extended for a further period of three years as Senior Research Fellowship (SRF). The research work will be assessed by a three-member committee set up by the University. The committee will consist of the Supervisor, Head of the Department and one outside expert in the subject. Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) may be terminated in case the progress of the candidate is not found satisfactory by the committee. The SRF shall be sanctioned on year to year basis on the recommendation of the Supervisor of the candidate duly accepted/rejected by the Head of the Department and finally approved by the Vice-Chancellor. The total period of award of JRF and SRF shall not exceed a period of five years. The fellowship is paid from the date of registration of the students in M.Phil./Ph.D. course.
- The students with disabilities once considered eligible for the fellowship shall not be entitled to any other benefits from Central Government of India or State Government Of India or any other body like University Grants Commission (UGC) offering a similar benefit to avoid duplication and increase coverage. Only those doing regular and full-time M.Phil./Ph.D. course of aUniversity/Research Institution shall be eligible for the fellowship. Employees of any University/College/Educational Institution/Central/State/UT Government shall be excluded from availing Fellowship, even if they are on Study Leave or EOL to pursue the M.Phil./Ph.D. course.
Students with disabilities
Rate of fellowship is as below:
|1.||Fellowship (For All Subjects)||@ Rs.16,000/- per month for initial two years (JRF), @ Rs. 18,000/- per month for the remaining tenure (SRF)|
|2.||Contingency (For Humanities, Social Sciences and Commerce)||@ Rs.10,000/- per annum for initial two years, @ Rs.20,500/- per annum for remaining three years.|
|3.||Contingency (For Sciences and Engineering & Technology)||@ Rs.12,000/- per annum for initial two years, @ Rs.25,000/- per annum for remaining three years.|
|4.||Departmental Assistance [Discontinued as per pattern of e-payment towards RGNF-SC/ST and MANF]||@ Rs.3,000/- p.a. per student to the host institution for providing infrastructure|
|5.||Escorts / Reader Assistance||@ Rs.2,000/- per month in case of physically and visually challenged candidates.|
|6.||HRA||As per University / Institution rules.|
How To Apply
- University Grants Commission (UGC) is the nodal agency for implementing the RGNF scheme for students with disabilities. So Contact to University Grants Commission (UGC)
- Eligible student/candidate should respond to advertisement of UGC.
Central Government of India
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
Date of Launch
Share this article :Facebook Twitter Google
- National Overseas Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
- Pre Matric and Post Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
- Scheme of Free Coaching for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarship for Top Class Education for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarship Scheme from Trust Fund for Persons with Disabilities