Scheme For Construction And Running Of Girls’ Hostel For Students Of Secondary And Higher Secondary Schools
This scheme was launched in 2008-09 sponsored by the central government of India.It aims to set up a 100 bedded girl’s hostel in each of the 3479 Educationally Backward Blocks in India. This scheme has replaced the earlier NGO driven scheme for construction and running of girls’ hostels for students of secondary and higher secondary schools, under which assistance was provided to voluntary organizations for running such hostels. Girl students within the age group of 14-18 years, studying in classes 9th to 12th, belonging to SC, ST, OBC, minority communities and BPL families from the target group of the scheme. Students passing out of Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya(KGBV) are preferred for admission in hostels and at least 50% of the girls admitted are from Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) and minority communities.
The objective of this scheme are summarised as below:
- To retain the girl child in secondary school so that girl students are not denied the opportunity to continue their study due to the distance to school, parents’ financial affordability and other connected societal factors.
- To make Secondary and Senior Secondary education accessible to a larger number of girl students.
All girl students in the age group of 14-18 yrs. studying in classes 9th and 12th belonging to SC, ST, OBC, Minority communities and BPL families will form the target group of the Scheme. Students passing out of Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya(KGBV) will be given preference in admission in hostels. At least 50% of girls admitted will be from SC, ST, OBC and Minority communities.
All girl students in the age group of 14-18 yrs.
|S. No.||Item||Rs. in lakhs|
|1.||Construction of building including 2 room accommodation for warden||State schedule of rates to be used as per specified detailed norms for a 100-bedded hostel.|
|3.||Boring Hand Pump (minimum rates prescribed by State Drinking Water department subject to a ceiling of Rs. 1.00 lacs)||1.00|
|5.||Furniture and equipment including kitchen equipments||6.91|
|S. No.||Item||Rs. in lakhs|
|1.||Food/Lodging Expenditure per girl child @ Rs. 1500 per month||18.00|
|2.||Honorarium of warden @ Rs. 5,000 per month (in addition to her salary as teacher)||0.60|
|3.||Chowkidar @ Rs. 3,000 per month||0.36|
|4.||1 Head Cook (@ Rs. 3,000 per month) and 2 Astt. Cook (@ Rs. 2,500 per month)||0.96|
|5.||Electricity/Water per year||0.60|
|6.||Maintenance per year||0.40|
|7.||Medical care@ Rs. 750 per year per girl||0.75|
|8.||Toiletries and sanitation @ Rs. 100 per month for each girl||1.20|
|9.||News paper/ magazines and sports @ Rs. 2,000 per month||0.24|
How To Apply
Contact to any of the followings:
- Contact to secondary/ higher secondary schools in the neighborhood of the hostel Or
- District level Contact to representatives of District Administration, PRIs and social activists Or
- At the State level by a State Level Empowered Committee headed by Secretary (School Education)
Central & State(90C:10S)
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)
Date of Launch
Share this article :Facebook Twitter Google
- Incentives To Girls For Secondary Education
- Scheme for Inclusive Education for Disabled at Secondary Stage (IEDSS)
- Model School Scheme
- National Means Cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme
- Prime Minister's Scholarship Scheme For Central Armed Police Forces And Assam Rifles
- Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA)
- Vocationalisation Of Secondary Education