Scholarship for Top Class Education for Students with Disabilities with visual, hearing, speech, locomotor and mental
This scheme is for the persons with visual, hearing, speech, locomotor, and mental disabilities. The overall statics gives as persons with disabilities have much lower educational attainment rates, with 51% illiteracy against 35% for the general population. The motive of this scheme is to empower persons with Disabilities studying in premier higher educational institutes (like IIT, IIM, NIT), etc.” This scheme is implemented by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
The prime goals of this scheme are as below:
- The Scheme aims at recognizing and promoting quality education amongst Students with Disabilities by providing full financial support.
- The scheme will cover Students with Disabilities (SwDs) for pursuing studies at the level of Post Graduate Degree or Diploma in any discipline.
The student/candidate/person should satisfy the following conditions:
- The student/candidate/person should be a citizen of India
- A person with disability having not less than 40% disability and having a disability certificate issued by any competent medical authority.
- The student/candidate/person who got admission in any of the notified institutions for pursuing a full-time course at the level of Post Graduate Degree/Diploma according to the norms prescribed by the respective institution. Scholarship under this scheme shall not be admissible for pursuing distance-learning/part time/weekend courses under any stream.
- The candidate should not avail any other scholarship under any scheme of the Government of India.
- The total annual income from all sources of the candidate and/or his/her parents/guardians, should not more than Rs.6,00,000/- (Rupees six lakh only) per annum, (excluding such allowances as are not treated as part of total income for the purpose of income tax). A copy of latest tax assessment, as well as latest monthly salary slip from the employer, is also required to be enclosed with the application.
- Two children in a family - Not more than two disabled children of the same parents/guardians will be eligible and to this effect, a self-certification will be required from the candidate. Provided, more than two children of the same parents can be allowed in case the second/third children are twins.
- Individual can be awarded only for once.
- Reimbursement of expenses for the purchase of a computer with accessories is Rs. 30,000/- per awardee as a one-time grant for entire course.
- Reimbursement of expenses for the purchase of Aids and Assistive Devices including necessary software related to the particular disability of the selected candidate is Rs. 30,000/- per awardee as a one-time grant for entire course
Persons with disabilities
Quantum of Financial Assistance
|Sr. No.||Components of Scholarship||Rate per awardee|
|1.||Reimbursement of tuition fees and nonrefundable charges paid/ payable to the Institution||Up to Rs. 2.00 lakh – per annum (subject to actual amount).|
|2.||Maintenance Allowance||Rs. 3,000/- per month for hostellers,
Rs. 1,500/- per month for day-scholars
|3.||Special Allowances (related to types of disabilities like reader allowance, escort allowance, helper allowance etc.)||Rs. 2,000/- per month|
|4.||Books & Stationery||Rs. 5,000/- per annum.|
|5.||Reimbursement of expenses for purchase of a computer with accessories.||Rs. 30,000/- per awardee as a one-time grant for entire course.|
|6.||Reimbursement of expenses for purchase of Aids and Assistive Devices including necessary software related to the particular disability of the selected candidate.||Rs. 30,000/- per awardee as a one-time grant for entire course|
The aids and assistive devices may include
For the blind / low vision
- Braille / Brailer Typewriter
- Laptop with Screen reading software
- Laptop with Screen Magnification software
- Talk software for mobile phone accessibility
- DAISY Recorder and player
For the hearing impaired -
- Binaural digital programmable hearing aid with provision for button cells.
- Cell phone with SMS SIM Card
- Laptop with WiFi (Blue Tooth) facility.
How To Apply
Contact to any of the followings to avail the benefits under this scheme:
- Respond to an advertisement given by The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
- Visit to National e-Scholarship Portal
- Contact to Head of Institution Or College.
Central Government of India
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
Date of Launch
Share this article :Facebook Twitter Google
- National Overseas Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
- Pre Matric and Post Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
- Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for Students with Disabilities
- Scheme of Free Coaching for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarship Scheme from Trust Fund for Persons with Disabilities