Women Helpline Scheme for women a single national HelpLine Number for Women
Scheme for Universalisation of Women Helpline is meant to provide 24 hours immediate and emergency response to women affected by violence. This scheme is being implemented since from 01-04-2015 by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development.
The Scheme of Universalisation of Women Helpline is meant to provide 24 hours immediate and emergency response to women affected by violence through referral (linking with appropriate authority such as police, One Stop Centre, hospital) and information about women related government schemes programs across the country through a single uniform number.
Women Helpline (WHL) is working with the One Stop Centre Scheme (OSC) under which one OSC will be set up in every State/UT to provide integrated support and assistance to women affected by violence, both in private and public spaces under one roof. Women affected by violence and in need of redressal services will be referred to OSC through WHL.
Under this Scheme, the States/UTs will utilise or augment their existing women helplines through a dedicated single national number. Department of Telecommunication, Government of India has allocated short code 181 to all States/UTs which is being used by some States/UTs such as Delhi, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh as Women Helpline.From any post/pre paid mobile or landline services through any public or private network i.e. GSM, CDMA, 3G, 4G etc can be called to 181 as Women Helpline (WHL).
The objectives of the Scheme are:
- To provide toll-free 24-hours telecom service to women affected by violence seeking support and information
- To help crisis and non-crisis intervention through referral to the appropriate agencies such as police/Hospitals/Ambulance services/District Legal Service Authority (DLSA)/Protection Officer (PO)/OSC.
- To provide information about the appropriate support services, government schemes and programmes available to the woman affected by violence, in her particular situation within the local area in which she resides or is employed.
Any woman or girl facing violence within public or private sphere of life or seeking information about women related programmes or schemes.
The benefits are summarised as below:
- Violence Against Women (VAW) Prevention : As soon as an aggrieved woman (AG) or somebody on her behalf will contact WHL, she will be immediately assisted by the call responder appointed there. The responder will refer her to relevant support services like medical aid, police assistance or connect her to OSC for professional counselling, shelter, legal aid etc;
- Information of Women Empowerment Schemes and programmes : The information about the laws, existing schemes and government programs related to women empowerment and protection are provided. It will help to women about processes to be adopted for accessing benefits of these schemes and programs.
How To Apply
The Women Helpline will be up and active 24 hours a day 7 days a week to any woman or girl suffering violence or in distress in the following manner:
- Telephone - landlines, mobile phones through calls, SMS/text messaging, mobile apps and fax messages are considered.
- Internet - Via emails, web-posts, web-interface, social networking sites i.e. web page, facebook, twitter, mygov etc can be considered.
Call to any of the following Women Helpline Nos.
- Call to Women's Helpline: 181 Toll free
- Call to 1091- Police Helpline, 102 (hospital/Ambulance) & 108 (Emergency Response Services)
- Contact to One Stop Centre(OSC)
Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India.
Date of Launch
Share this article :Facebook Twitter Google